While preparing the CKA exam, I have been using minikube and kubeadm or Rancher’s rke to bootstrap kubernetes clusters. Those tools are very nice but I wanted to understand all the details of a full setup. The best for this is the excellent “Kubernetes The Hard Way” tutorial from Kelsey Hightower.
I wanted to do the setup on-premises, meaning no cloud provider. So I had to “adapt” the tutorial accordingly. As I have spent some time getting everything up and running, I have decided to share my experience through a series of posts.
The tutorial is using VMs, but should be applicable any non cloud setup like bare metal or other.
This is just an adaptation of the guide and a sharing of my experience, which I hope will be helpful to others.
The tutorial is organized in the following steps:
- Planning the Installation
- Provisioning TLS certificates
- Generating Kubeconfig files
- Generating the Data Encryption Config
- Bootstrapping etcd Cluster
- Bootstrapping k8s Control Plane
- Bootstrapping k8s Worker Nodes
- Generating kubectl config file
- Configuring Networking
- Deploying Cluster Add-ons
- Kubernetes Cluster Conformance